Saturday, May 9, 2009

130) The Eve-teasing Activist

“One evening at 7:30 pm, I was walking back home on the footpath of busy Convent Road in Bangalore where I live. Two men on a two-wheeler wanted to beat the traffic by using the footpath and yelled at me to get off. When I refused, the motorists tried to run over me by revving up the engine. When I still refused to be cowed, he verbally abused me, got off and pushed me against the wall. The pillion rider, in turn, kicked me when I hit back. Despite the road long traffic-jam and a crowd of onlookers none intervened leaving me to my poor fate. Except for a few shouts of protests, nobody wanted to get involved. After filing an FIR and case of violation under law and order, the two riders were arrested; they were found to be engineers with MBA degrees, and working for Wipro”.

This is the sordid tale of Ayesha as she narrated in our Rotary club.

Rotary club of Mylapore had organized a series of seminars for its members on woman’s day and we had invited Ayesha as one of the speakers. We had gathered at Park Sheraton and the sea breeze brought relief from the raging scorched sun. Amidst the stiffness of the decorative conference room this note of poignancy created a strange chill over 50 people gathered. A cell phone rang and everyone turned in that direction and gave the person the looks.

Ayesha continued as we heard her in rapt attention: “It is true that most urban women face harassment on the street everyday but few are prepared to tackle it head-on. What you need is to get over the “it’ll will never happen to me” attitude and be ready to face any eventuality.

Then she threw the floor open for a brainstorming session as to how a woman can protect herself in a hostile situation.

Suggestions flew thick and fast and we agreed on the following:

- Be aware of the surrounding whether you are walking in a deserted lane or crowd. Be alert as to who is approaching you instead of being absorbed in a I-pod or cell phone.
- Carry a pepper spray; even a bunch of car keys or sharp nails can come in handy when your personal space is encroached.
- When someone physically threatens you, “Scream” your lungs out. The molester is the one to be ashamed off and not you.
- If possible, learn a few self-defensive martial arts movements.

Ayesha is now busy sensitizing women on “harassment” and she is busy visiting schools and colleges promoting the cause. She has many volunteers in all the major cities and an active website where legal and police counsel is freely dished out.

She says,” I was just an ordinary housewife and that evening in Bangalore made me aware of a danger I never knew before. It is only after this the crimes against women reported in papers began to make sense.”

Her organization has come to aid of many women in similar plight. Isn’t it amazing that a victim has so much courage as to take the system on?

When queried as to why men from decent families indulge in such hooliganism, she says,” Blame bollywood”.

No comments:

Post a Comment