Wednesday, May 6, 2009

26) Dullard at school

My brother-in-law came visited me with sweets; Mysorepak from Adyar Grand Sweets to inform of Neha’s admission to IIT. The results were out in yesterday’s “The Hindu” and she’s ranked 87 and since then, the Mehras were high on celebrations.

Arvind bubbled with excitement and pride as he gave the news. I have seen this girl was born right under my eyes and now she done something truly stupendous.

The proud father said,” Even when Neha was a child, I would take care to the children’s park adjacent to IIT, Madras campus. I had a friend inside the campus and sure enough, I would tag her for walks in the salubrious environment while instilling that only the best brains study there. The black bucks, green foliage, streams alongside those giant buildings are always a feast for the eyes.

I put her in Padma Seshadri - supposedly the best school in the city- even if that meant sleeping on the school premises the previous night to procure admission forms.
Neha was naturally inclined to sports and we never insisted on academics; our job pertained to ensuring that she imbibed good values and develop a strong character. Unlike other parents who burdened their kids with truckloads of tuitions, we were content to leave her on her own.

I was surprised when I got a summon from the school to meet the Vice Principal. I was distraught with trepidation has to what lay in store”.

The Vice Principal said without fuss or preamble,” Sir, Neha has been a student with us since kindergarten and I hate to say this: she has only scored 68% in the X exams and we really can’t keep her here. She has the lowest percentile in a class of 54 and we fear it will affect the other children adversely. We have students in the 90-98% range and Neha would herself feel the pressure and not survive. The school’s policy is to weed out poor students so that our reputation doesn’t suffer”.

I was livid but controlled my tongue. Was this a school for educating kids or an advertisement centre out to milk students for publicity? But if you open your mouth and protest the injustices, you will be ushered out in a blink for these guys are high and mighty used to only suppliant parents.

I would have only been too glad to shift Neha to another school but that would only hurt her. She was here since a kid and to leave all her friends in such disgrace could adversely impact her psychologically.

I requested the Vice Principal,” Sure, my daughter has let the school turn. She is only a playful kid and if she fails to score 90% in standard XI, then drop her. I beg you to give her another chance. I don’t wish my daughter to go through this humiliation for the rest of her life”. I used all my marketing skills of working across 12 countries and 3 continents to get her to acquiesce.

Neha got to know what had transpired and promised me in tears,” Dad, I shall never, ever make you ashamed again. I am truly sorry and next year, I shall top my class”.

She gave up her swimming and tennis classes and instead attacked her books. She enrolled for IIT coaching classes even as her classmates mocked her but nothing daunted my little angel.

In the next year, she got 94% and I rang the Vice Principal to announce the result. To the old hag’s credit, she was gracious. Even I was a lot forgiving after last year’s diktat.

Neha worked day and night and secured the best rank in the IIT JEE amongst Padma Seshadri students. It’s amazing how quickly she grew from a mischievous girl to a woman who can fight and hold her own.”

I glowed with avuncular pride saying, “If only our cricket team can show such spirits”

No comments:

Post a Comment