Friday, May 8, 2009

100) Forever an angel

It was the darkest phase of my life. My career was yet again sinking for no fault of mine except perhaps karmic. In the first decade of my work life, I had bizarre interruptions: a sudden heart surgery, work permits getting delayed due to gulf war, and now running into a manic manager.

I fell into the darkest depression possible and lie on the bed for over 20 hours a day and watching even the inane television too big a task.

I was so depressed that I locked myself in the bedroom for the second month running. The food tasted like saw dust and nothing held interest. I was determined to force the issue and just marking date and time for exit.

I used to have some friends on Orkut and one of them was a doctor. Dr. Manisha wrote a couple of mails and so I replied back more out of courtesy than any interest. My most comforting thought was hope of death and I was optimistic that it was only a matter of time.

She asked,” Ashok, you seem to give an eerie impression of wanting the quit the game of life midway. Is it true or is it the imagination of an overworked psychiatrist?”

This acuity saved my life as I bared my problems. The doctor in Delhi gave her number urging me to call. BTW, I am based at Chennai.

I called and spoke for an hour. I was determined that nothing positive would come in my life. Living was futile and a burden to others and I would probably pull the plug by the week.

Dr. Manisha said,” Ashok, that’s your illness speaking. Forcing death and life after death could be more unpleasant. Just hang around and have these drugs. They will cheer you in a fortnight and let’s take it from there.”

Her voice was encouraging and friendly beyond belief and her kindness and compassion immeasurable. I was insistent though, “Doctor, I have pills that will induce a brain seizure and I am determined to escape this pain”.

“Ashok, you shall do nothing of that sort. If you feel like popping those pills, call me anytime. Will you at least make that promise to me?”

I never found a better doctor and a friend. She would email me everyday and keep sending positive SMS messages. She would call me and speak for hours on end unmindful of cell charges between Delhi and Chennai.

Slowly, life started ebbing into the system. I even asked,” Didi (by now, Manisha gave way to Doctor and then finally settled to Didi) why do you care for a stranger like me?
You don’t even allow a man to die in peace”.

She got the humour, “I’ll spank you if you feel that way. Ashok, I am a doctor and I feel a human life is so important and I’ll go to any distance to save it”.

Dr. Manisha Kalyani runs free medical camps for the poor in psychiatry treatments and provide free counseling and free medicines in South Delhi. She is the very soul of service and her compassion for the downtrodden immeasurable

As for me, I see an angel and goddess in her. And if I were to die tomorrow, my last words would be “Manisha” for she showed more affection than all my family members and friends put together. She has been holding such camps for more than a decade now and many would echo similar sentiments.

It just takes one selfless woman to make life beautiful again for those in hell. (595 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment