Friday, May 8, 2009

114) SEZ Imbroglio

What sort of a father am I? I ask myself everyday when I see my wife and children suffer.

My land has been taken away by the officials and they told me some big company is coming up. This was two years back and till date no compensation has been awarded to me. I don't want the compensation. I want my land back.

We were self sufficient until two years back. What ever little we used to cultivate was enough to feed us. But now, I don't see anything good happening to us? I have two sons, who are with me trying to get our land back.

The mukhiya (village headman) told me that if the company comes up then it will be good for the village. But what good is he talking about when the people of the village have no food to eat? I am not the only one with this problem. There are several others and we are a part of one group.

The officials in the village say that there is no hope of us getting our land back and we have to be content with the compensation. However, we do not want that. How long will that money last? For generations the land that we lost was the only source of income for the family. Now all of a sudden it is just taken away. We were not told about it and it seems as though it happened overnight.

I will starve myself, but I will not give up. The land is rightfully mine and no other person should have it. I am ready to work on my land for a living, but I am not ready to give it up and beg others to feed me. I have a lot of faith in this Janadesh Yatra. We will get our land back through non-violent methods. If we are not successful, I am even ready to fast to death. The land is all we have; please give it back to us.

'I don't want compensation, I want my land back'

Reliance Industries had acquired thousands of acres of farm land for a new petrochemical industry. They contend that it would create thousands of jobs.

The farmers ask: after we are all dead

No comments:

Post a Comment