Wednesday, May 6, 2009

48) Working woman’s dilemma

The Delhi-Mumbai flight wasn’t overcrowded as the most the middle seats on both rows were unfilled. After some window gazing, I thought better of for human company and directed my gaze to the passenger on the aisle seat. She was absorbed in a book as I looked for an opening.

She looked late 20s exuding an air of confidence that one associates with successful people. Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, that suited nicely on her small frame she sat cross legged with both feet on the seat. After the food was served, we got a little talkative.

I asked,” What do you do for your living?”

She responded,” I am a pediatrician and now working for a KPO”.

“Is it some kind of a night job?” I queried barely hiding my contempt.

Dr.Abha smiled,” It’s not that bad. It is a day job though at times we talk in the night to our clients in the US. We analyze the data for a hospital in US, find their effectiveness and report to doctors on our learning”.

We were quiet for sometime before she sighed,” I loved working as a practicing pediatrician but the money here is too good. Even my husband who is a fellow doctor works for the same company and both of us regret the lack of field work”.

As she was becoming more human and warm, I asked,” If you are both working, what about your kid?”

“We employed a local nanny who could only speak Tamil and that was a nightmare. Now my mother takes care of my 2 year old daughter and without her, it would be unmanageable”.

Dr. Abha continued,” More than anyone else, I know how much a mother is required for a baby. As soon as I reach home, my daughter will come rushing, squealing with delight. My mom, who looks after Deepa the whole day, is none too pleased. She complains that I am having and eating the cake too. It is pure nature at work for an infant to love its mother over everyone else” as she smiled at the thought.

As the flight approached Mumbai, she said,” I tried sitting at home but then I was getting too bored. After a month, both of us realized that I need the pressures of the office and can’t suffer the boredom of idleness”.

She continued more to herself though my presence was aiding the flow of thoughts, ”We have earned enough in the last 5 years. I will soon take a break from the KPO thing and go back to clinical practice. There is nothing more exciting than saving a child and knowing that you have made a difference? Besides, I can be with my daughter for a longer time”.

As we got down the steps, I shook her hands saying,” Real pleasure meeting you” ruminating that she is a winner after having survived the ordeal of clearing all those tortuous MD exam papers and managing over 3 clinics a day before her marriage and child. For a pediatrician, dealing with life and death issues is an everyday affair.

I will not be surprised if she opens a clinic in the neighbourhood and her daughter has more of mamma’s time. There are some strangers you wish to befriend and Dr.Abha surely had that class. A good flight journey too

No comments:

Post a Comment