Thursday, May 7, 2009

66) Relocation blues

I didn’t know whether it was good news or bad and that entirely depended on my hubby’s verdict. I took him to our favourite Chinese restaurant at Bandra and dropped the bombshell.

I work at the Times of India as an advertising executive and I was promoted to a managerial position and based out of Chennai while my husband was an Assistant manager at Deutsch Bank. We have a two year old daughter and relocating to another city was not that simple. I waited to hear Arun’s thought.

First he was dead against the promotion and if worst comes to worst, I could quit my job and find another assignment in Mumbai itself. I felt that leaving such a prestigious job as the Times would cause me heartburns and a long regret.

I suggested the middle path: Arun, let’s give this offer a real chance. I shall report at Chennai and take Vanita with me while he could manage the house with his mother keeping the kitchen running here.

“Let’s give exactly a year’s time and if I nor the child cannot adjust ourselves in conservative Chennai then I shall do as per his wishes”. That is, come back to Mumbai and try for options elsewhere.

The HR department was very considerate as they found a decent lodging near the office and all I needed to do was explore crèche facilities for Vanita.

Amidst a lot of trepidations and heart in the mouth, I waved goodbye to Arun at Santacruz and distraught as to what lie in store. This was the first time I would be on my own and the prospect looked steep and daunting.

In the first week, I spent all my time trying to find the right crèche for the child. I was clear on one thing – the place must be hygienic and the nannies educated so that she imbibes the right things.

Chennai has lot of crèches and they cater to every purse. I found one in T.nagar after observing how they functioned and the lady there gracious enough to allow me watch their operation the whole day. She employed 4 girls and they seemed to be well paid and motivated enough in child care. I liked the play things and the children were treated with softness. Though the monthly rate was more than I had bargained or budgeted for, I knew that Vanita would be safe in that school.

That was a huge mental relief. Arun was most helpful as he himself came dashing to Chennai to oversee that I settle there quickly. He had taken his annual leave and in the three weeks he was here, we explored the city and brought all the things needed for us – a baby cot, a fridge and setting up a kitchen in terms of a gas cylinders, stove, utensils etc. I don’t know what I would have done without him.

The child was happy and she seemed to have settled into the Chennai milieu like duck to water and infact, she picked up Tamil so fast that I was beginning to learn from her.

At work too, we accomplished what we set out to do. I had a great team and the bosses at Mumbai were content as to the progress.
Arun gave me the happiest news on my birthday: His bank too had transferred him to Chennai on his request and now we are one happy and close knit family once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment